Drunken Driving Sweep on the East End Continues

    The summer may be over but the crackdown on drunken driving is continuing. On Saturday night East Hampton town police teamed with seven other jurisdictions, netting eight arrests, along with one for driving with ability impaired by drugs. It is a continuation of this summer’s Operation NiteCap, which resulted in a record number of arrests for driving while intoxicated.
    “They had eight different cars from eight jurisdictions,” said town police Chief Edward Ecker. There was one car each from East Hampton town and village, Southampton town and village, Quogue, Suffolk County police, and the county sheriff’s department.
    “They did saturation patrol in all the hamlets,” the chief said. The eight cars were on the lookout for the classic symptoms — swerving across lane lines, driving at night without headlights, and the like.
    “The efforts will continue throughout 2012,” the chief promised, adding that all the jurisdictions were looking forward to an even greater effort next year.
    As in most drunken-driving arrests, the accused were initially pulled over for a traffic infraction, with the officer concluding, after speaking with the driver, that he or she was intoxicated. A standard set of sobriety tests then follows, which, if failed, lead to an arrest.
    Here are Saturday night’s arrests, in the order that they occurred.
    Police pulled over a 2002 Ford in Amagansett at 9 p.m., saying it had made an illegal U-turn on Main Street by the Stephen Talkhouse. The driver, Ronald E. Cayen, 65, of East Hampton, consented to an Intoxilyzer 5000 chemical breath test back at the station house, and his blood-alcohol content was recorded as .08, just over the legal limit.
    He told Justice Lisa R. Rana in court the next morning that he was an antiques and art dealer. Noting his local roots, Justice Rana released him without bail, but with a future court date.
    At about the same time, Matthew D. Beres was pulled over on Montauk Highway near Cove Hollow Road in East Hampton after reportedly swerving several times across the lines. He was arrested, but not for D.W.I. Instead, the arresting officer said he smelled marijuana smoke, and found a burning joint in the ashtray, as well as some unsmoked grass.
    Mr. Beres told the court the next morning that he needed to drive, to run his catering service. Justice Rana set a Tuesday date for a hardship appeal. If he wins the appeal he will be allowed to keep driving, but only for business purposes.
    Due to his roots in the community, he was released without bail, to the clear appreciation of his wife and two young children, who were sitting in the back of the room.
    A Montauk man, just one day short of his 83rd birthday, was placed under arrest by a Suffolk County police officer at 9:45 p.m. The driver, Louis J. Vilardi, was seen swerving across lane lines several times, the officer reported.
    Because of physical inability, Mr. Vilardi was not required to do the normal balancing tests. But when he did the eye test, following a moving pen with his eyes without moving his head, he continually moved his head, the police said, then stopped altogether. His station-house breath test came back at .09.
    He was released without bail thanks to his many years in the community, and promised to return for his next court date.
    Minutes after that arrest, police stopped Kenneth R. Nilson, 23, of Sound Beach for failing to yield the right of way while pulling out of a parking lot in Amagansett. His blood-alcohol content was reported to be .10.
    In court the next morning, Mr. Nilson told Justice Rana that he was a graduate of the United States Merchant Marine Academy, and that he was now serving in the Merchant Marine. He was released without bail.
    At a little after 11 p.m. Bryan L. Anderson, 66, of East Hampton was arrested in his own driveway on Talkhouse Walk. An East Hampton Town officer had seen him driving erratically on Town Lane and activated his lights, but according to the report, rather than stopping, Mr. Anderson continued driving. The officer finally turned on the siren and pulled in behind him as he arrived at his house.
    Police said that after his arrest Mr. Anderson refused to take the station-house breath test, and also refused to sign papers indicating he had been read the legal information regarding the test.
    He was released the next morning without bail, due to his community roots.
    Adam Davids, 37, of New York City was arrested by a Southampton officer at about 1 a.m. after being stopped for swerving on Springs-Fireplace Road in East Hampton. He tested .09 back at headquarters, which is one point over the legal limit. Mr. Davids told the court that morning that he runs a tech company and was in town for the film festival as a producer. Justice Rana set bail at $300.
    At 2:45 a.m., Victor A. Gavilanes Sarmiento, 32, of Springs was pulled over on Abraham’s Path near Springs-Fireplace Road; police said he had crossed the yellow lines several times. At the station house, his blood-alcohol content was reported to be .20, which is considered high enough to result in a charge of aggravated D.W.I.
    In court that morning, he said he was a carpenter, and asked how long it would be until he could drive. Justice Rana began to explain the procedures for an appeal for a hardship license, when a child in back of the courtroom began acting up. “You have to go out into the hallway,” the justice told the mother, and then finished her explanation, setting bail at $350.
    Maya Grigorovich-Barsky, 33, of Falls Church, Va., was arrested a bit before 3 in the morning. She was reportedly pulled over for running a stop sign and turning without signaling. Police said she refused to take the Intoxilyzer test, meaning her privilege to drive in New York State was automatically suspended. Justice Rana warned Ms. Grigorovich-Barsky that morning that she needed to find out whether her Virginia license was in jeopardy. Each state’s policy regarding  out-of-state D.W.I. arrests varies.
    Justice Rana set bail the next morning at $400. Ms. Grigorovich-Barsky appeared somber throughout the process. The justice told her the village officers would help her find a cash machine to obtain her bail. “Get home safe,” she added.
     The final arrest of the night came at 3:37 a.m. when police stopped Nelson Valencia-Vega on Pantigo Road in East Hampton. Besides the D.W.I. charge that followed the stop, Mr. Valencia-Vega was charged with giving the officers false identification information.
    Bail was set at $400. His brother was in the courtroom, ready to post it.
    Police reported two other drunken-driving arrests this week. Clevor A. Carchipulla, 28, of East Hampton was arrested Sunday night at 8:30 after being stopped on Springs-Fireplace Road; police said he had crossed the double yellow line to pass another car. The report says there was an open bottle of beer in the cup holder when Mr. Carchipulla was pulled over. His blood-alcohol content was reported to be .17. Bail was set on Monday morning at $350.
    In Sag Harbor, Marco Rocano, 36, of Patchogue was arrested Monday night at 8 and charged with aggravated D.W.I. and resisting arrest. Police said he ran the stop sign on Bay Street as he turned in from Route 114 and failed to signal the turn as well. When told he was being arrested for drunken driving, he reportedly resisted being handcuffed.
    Resisting arrest is a misdemeanor, as is driving while intoxicated.