On The Police Logs 04.12.12

East Hampton Village
Mike Bouker reported to the East Hampton Village Police Department on April 2 that two trees on public property on Ruxton Road had been attacked at their bases by a chain saw. In Mr. Bouker’s opinion, they would be dead within one year and would cost $8,000 to replace.

A man identifying himself only as Robin called police on Friday about a disturbance on Maidstone Avenue. When an officer arrived, he found two women arguing, apparently over work, but he did not understand the language they were speaking in. No action was taken.

On Saturday, Ed Black of Crystal Drive turned in a pink Hello Kitty carrying case he had found on a bench near the Main Street Hampton Jitney stop. It contained a Nintendo DS XL game system along with two games, Super Mario Brothers and a Ben 10 game. The carrying case and its contents are now purring in police custody.

At about 10:30 a.m. on April 4, East Hampton Town police received a report of a man sunbathing in the nude on the beach near the Ocean Beach motel. When officers arrived, however, Elliot Decker of Brooklyn was not only wearing his trunks but told officers they had been on all morning.

Sag Harbor
Last Thursday morning, Sag Harbor police received at least two phone calls complaining of youths skateboarding  behind the empty Stella Maris School, allegedly causing damage. One of the caller asked police to increase patrols in the area.

Midday on Good Friday, the Rev. Peter Devaraj found an apparently intoxicated man asleep in St. Andrew’s Catholic Church, according to a police report. Officers responded, woke up Chad A. Egan, and asked him to leave, the police said. They reported, however, that Mr. Egan is homeless.

The next day, police received a report of a drunken man wandering in and out of traffic on Bay Street. When officers arrived there, he was not to be found.

A guest at the Baron’s Cove Inn on Water Street, Gamal A. Hassan, left his room for the day at 6:45 a.m. on April 3. When he returned at 7:30 that evening, he discovered that his black iPod had been removed from a dresser drawer. Police are investigating.

Ray Riha of Racanelli Construction, the company renovating the old Bulova watch company on Church Street, reported to police that the door on its office trailer had been vandalized, possibly by someone trying to jimmy his or her way in, despite the trailer’s being inside the locked gate at the site. Damage was estimated at approximately $500.

Mike Schiavoni of Schiavoni’s Market told police that on April 6, a man whose identity he revealed to police had removed items from the store by concealing them under his shirt. Mr. Schiavoni declined to press charges, but told police he would do so if the man returned to the store.