Wild-Ride Driver In Court

    Kimberly M. Delrio, 22, was arraigned in East Hampton Town Justice Court last Thursday on charges stemming from her effort to transport Freddie Stephens to Southampton Hospital. Mr. Stephens had been shot in the arm, apparently accidentally, by a friend, Frank Hanna, on May 24.
    “She saved my son’s life, Tieya Bacon, Mr. Stephens’s mother, said on May 31, following Mr. Hanna’s arraignment.
    Ms. Delrio, clearly distraught, told Justice Lisa Rana she was about to start working a second job. “I have a 1-year-old daughter that I support,” she said. “Her father just passed away.”
    Mr. Stephens was in the courthouse to lend support to Ms. Delrio.
    Justice Rana released Ms. Delrio on her own recognizance. Ms. Delrio and Mr. Stephens declined to talk to the press afterward, although Mr. Stephens did express anger at recent press coverage, saying it was unfair to him and his family. In particular, he singled out a report in this newspaper that mentioned a member of his family unrelated to the case.
    His attorney, Stephen Grossman, agreed. “It was not germane to the case,” Mr. Grossman said in a phone message, “and should not have been printed.”
    Ms. Delrio’s actions that night, when police said she weaved in and out of traffic at high speeds on the way to the hospital, was deemed by village police to be “dangerous.” She was charged with several violations and a felony, reckless endangerment.
    Also in court last Thursday was Quamine T. Taylor, who had been accused of breaking into Sean Combs’s Hedges Banks Drive house on March 31, not to burglarize, but rather to enjoy its lavish accoutrements. He was discovered the next day on the premises by a caretaker, who alerted police.
    Mr. Taylor has languished in county jail since then, unable to raise the $2,000 bail required to buy him temporary freedom. He has been in and out of court several times, always handcuffed, wearing a bright-red leather jacket, frequently seeming to spar with his court-appointed Legal Aid attorney, Shelia Mullahy. During his last appearance before Justice Rana, he said he wished to represent himself in future court appearances.
    However, Ms. Mullahy stood by Mr. Taylor again in court last Thursday, and told the justice that he would accept an offer from Melissa Aguanno, assistant district attorney, to plead guilty to one count of criminal trespass, with a sentence of 120 days, including the 90-odd days already served. Justice Rana accepted the deal, and reminded Mr. Taylor that she had issued an order of protection against him; he is not to revisit Mr. Combs or his house for at least five years.
    Mr. Taylor had been charged with the same offense 10 years ago.
    “I’ll be free in 30 days,” he said to reporters as he was led away by county sheriff’s officers.