Officer Had a Narrow Miss

    An East Hampton Town police officer patrolling Three Mile Harbor Road in Springs in the early hours of Jan. 5 made a sharp swerve onto the shoulder to avoid being hit by an oncoming Dodge Durango, which then continued on. The officer turned around fast and stopped the Durango after a short pursuit.
    The officer reported that the driver, Luis Zeas, 33, of East Hampton showed classic signs of intoxication, and a computer check showed that his license was suspended almost nine years ago because of inadequate documentation. The officer arrested Mr. Zeas on a charge of driving while intoxicated.
    Back at headquarters, his blood-alcohol content was recorded at .18 of 1 percent, over twice the number needed to sustain the charge, which was thereupon elevated to aggravated D.W.I. In court later that morning, East Hampton Town Justice Lisa Rana released Mr. Zeas on $350 bail.
    A car abandoned early Saturday morning after an accident led to the alcohol-related arrest of a Springs woman, Diana C. Harty, 48.
    Two officers arrived on Miller Lane West in East Hampton a little after midnight in response to a reported one-car accident. They found a 1998 Volkswagen that had struck two large rocks on the side of the street before coming to a stop. The airbag on the driver’s side was deployed, but the driver was gone.
    Police said a quick check of the license plates revealed that the car belonged to Ms. Harty, who was found walking a short distance away with cuts on her face and mouth, apparently caused by the airbag’s deployment. According to the report, she appeared intoxicated, and police said she failed a field sobriety test.
    She was charged with drunken driving before being taken to Southampton Hospital, where she consented to a blood test. Released from the emergency room after treatment for her cuts, she was brought back to headquarters to await arraignment.
    Because Ms. Harty has been convicted of driving while intoxicated within the past 10 years, she now faces an elevated charge of felony D.W.I. Justice Catherine Cahill set bail later in the morning at $1,500.
    Mary E. Brittis of Bedford Hills, N.Y., was arrested early Sunday morning, a little after midnight, after she was seen turning from Springs-Fireplace Road onto Gardiner Avenue in Springs without signaling. She did not perform roadside sobriety tests to an officer’s satisfaction and spent the remainder of the night at town police headquarters.
    In court that morning, Justice Cahill noted that Ms. Brittis’s Intoxylizer test gave a reading of .10 — the legal limit is .08 — and released her without bail after learning that she owns two houses here and has been coming to Springs for many years.
    Ms. Brittis, who appeared distraught, told the court she was on a medication that might have resulted in a false positive for alcohol. After Justice Cahill advised her that that was a conversation she should have with her attorneys, an officer removed her handcuffs and led her out into the hall, where she was comforted by two friends who had come to court to support her. She will return to court in the near future.