Skip to main content

Driver and Pedestrian Injured in Separate Accidents

Thu, 08/04/2022 - 08:20

Two accidents on East Hampton Town roads this week resulted in injuries.

On Friday afternoon, in slow-moving eastbound traffic on Route 114, Michael T. Froehlich of Lake Ronkonkoma, 43, complained of head pain and needed an ambulance ride to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital after his 2014 GMC pickup truck was rear-ended. Peter Sayia of East Hampton, 42, was behind the wheel of the 2022 Toyota pickup that struck Mr. Froehlich's truck. Mr. Sayia told police he had been braking in the heavy traffic but was unable to avoid a collision.

Christopher Pena of East Moriches, 61, was westbound in a 2015 Honda on Montauk Highway near South Elder Street in Montauk at 12:30 a.m. Saturday when Jonathan Casimino Fabien "ran into the roadway," Mr. Pena told police. Mr. Casimino Fabien, a 24-year-old Bronx resident, said he'd hit the crosswalk button, but then entered the road without looking out for oncoming traffic. He sustained a cut on his forehead and complained of neck pain, and was taken by ambulance to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

An accident report in last week's Star incorrectly described a collision in Wainscott on July 24, at around 4:30 p.m. According to police, David L. Shorenstein of New York City, driving a 2021 BMW, ran a stop sign at West Gate Road and Exeter Lane, striking a 2017 Land Rover belonging to Natasha Deckmann, also of New York. There was a 5-year-old passenger in Ms. Deckmann's car, not Mr. Shorenstein's. Mr. Shorenstein and the child were uninjured, but Ms. Deckmann had a minor cut on her face. There was one ticket given after the accident, and it went to Ms. Deckmann, who had been using her phone's GPS app, according to police.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.