Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 07.11.19

Thu, 07/11/2019 - 11:39


Someone stole a shopping bag from under a table at Organic Krush on the afternoon of July 3. Nina Beth Roth of Manhattan said she put the bag, with a $500 black cashmere cardigan from Community, in Amagansett Square, inside, under the table while she was having lunch from 1:45 to 2:15 p.m.

East Hampton

Adam Fine, the East Hampton High School principal, reported that a man who had been told in February to stay off school property was seen there on June 12 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The man said he had never received notification that he was not allowed at the school, and the school could not provide proof that he had received such a letter, so no charges were filed. The school then drafted another letter and asked police to notify the man that he could not return. Police advised him to meet with school administrators to discuss the situation further.

A window was found broken on one of the code enforcement vehicles parked at 300 Pantigo Place between June 27 and July 4. James Graham, a code enforcement officer, told police excessive heat might have caused the window to break because no object was found in the car or near it. 

Michal Rusk called police after a window on her 2007 Honda CRV was broken on the night of July 2. She shares a driveway on Jackson Street with her neighbors, and told police they sometimes park close to her car, and it was possible the damage was done accidentally. She estimated the damage at $150. 


The door to room 42 at the Sands Motel on South Emery Street was damaged and a drunken man was found asleep on a couch inside on Saturday evening. The owners, Andrea Alberts and Lorraine Mena, told police the man had been staying in the room and had pushed the door open, causing substantial damage. The man, who was taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital due to his level of intoxication and a minor laceration, agreed to pay for the damage.

Gurney’s Resort and Spa on Old Montauk Highway is looking into a situation in which a woman gained access to a room she should not have, during a conference on June 30. 

Two children’s scooters left by the beach access on Atlantic Drive were damaged and a red helmet was stolen, according to Michael Buono of Yonkers. He told police a blue Glider scooter had a bent front axle and a pink Lascoota had its front handlebar rod ripped in two places.

On June 3, a Manhattan man lost his cellphone while taking a Lyft from Gurney’s on Old Montauk Highway to Gurney’s on Star Island Drive. Ojonimi Samuel Bako said he told his driver that his cellphone was dying and the driver offered to charge it up front. When he got out of the car, he left his iPhone 10 X behind, and the driver never returned it, he told police. He contacted Lyft on June 4 at about 1:15 a.m., but they were unable to provide him with information about the driver. 

Sag Harbor Village

Ally Holly reported a bearded man on a motorcycle looking suspiciously into homes along Hamilton Street on July 3 at about 8 p.m. Police canvassed the area and found a man in a black cap, gray T-shirt, and jeans in a driveway, doing work on a motorcycle. He stated that he was the homeowner and had been in his driveway fixing up his ride to prepare for a long trip. The motorcycle was registered and “cool to the touch,” according to the report. 

On July 4 at about 11 p.m., police arrested Gregory Sherer, of East Hampton after an officer saw him urinating in public view in front of the main entrance door to the village police station. Mr. Sherer is due in court on Aug. 9. 

Around 9:30 on Friday evening, police approached a man after noticing his vehicle parked in a handicapped spot in the Long Island Avenue lot without a placard. The man admitted to not having a placard and was issued a parking violation summons. While police spoke to him, an officer noticed he was hiding an open 12-ounce bottle of Corona underneath his arm in the cupholder, and he was then issued a village code summons as well. 

A woman walked into the police station Saturday afternoon to report that her black Apple TV device had vanished from her John Street house. The woman said she realized the device was missing when she tried to turn on her television that morning and it wasn’t working. She said several workers had been in the house since the last time she was there, on May 27.

A concerned passer-by on Long Wharf called Sunday morning to report three dogs appearing to be in distress inside a blue minivan. When police arrived, the owner of the vehicle had already driven off.

A caller complained Monday morning of a possibly intoxicated man who had entered an outdoor picnic area on Wharf Street. The man told police that he was trying to find a place to sleep, because he had been staying on a friend’s boat that he would need a kayak to reach, and he didn’t believe he was in any condition to get there. Police asked the man not to enter the area and he complied. 

That same morning, police received a call about a man sleeping on a bench on Long Wharf. The man said he was waiting to be picked up to go back to the boat he was staying on. Police advised him to leave the area. 

A man complained Sunday morning about a guest who had overstayed his welcome. The man told police that his unwanted guest was a former employee who had been staying at his house. Once police arrived, he agreed to leave.

Thank you for reading this far...
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.