Skip to main content

Irish Press Follow Lee Case

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22



A trial date for Jason Lee, a former Goldman-Sachs managing director accused of raping an Irish woman in East Hampton during the summer of 2013, has not been scheduled, but Irish eyes are watching.

Reporters for three Irish news organizations have been turning up at Mr. Lee’s court appearances in Riverside. Mr. Lee is to appear for a 16th time in the courtroom of Supreme Court Justice Barbara Kahn on Nov. 17, when his trial is to be scheduled.

“It’s got several elements,” Rob Crilly, a freelance journalist covering the story for The Irish Times, said. “The defendant is a high-profile figure, a big banker. It is an Irish woman making the allegations.” And, he said, there is the connection between Ireland and America. “Everybody’s got family or friends in this part of the world.”

Orlaith Farrell of the Irish Independent has been at Mr. Lee’s last two court appearances. The Independent is Ireland’s best-selling newspaper, according to Wikipedia. During Mr. Lee’s Oct. 17 court date, she agreed there is an interest in the case in Ireland. She is also covering other court cases in the United States.

For example, in Middlesex, Mass., an Irish nanny, Aisling Brady McCarthy, is accused of shaking a baby to death. Her trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 20. Ms. Farrell also is tracking the case of Sean Dunne, a leading Irish developer who left the country when its real estate bubble burst, leaving a reported 700 million debt in euros. A hearing is to be held in December.

A reporter from The Irish Examiner, who has also been at Mr. Lee’s last two appearances, said it was natural for national publications to follow serious news stories involving countrymen. And all three news organizations have websites, reaching Irish nationals wherever they may be.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.