Skip to main content

Man Chooses to Go to Jail

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22



East Hampton Town police picked up a taxi driver in Shirley early last Thursday and gave him a ride to Wainscott police headquarters, from which he ultimately was sent to county jail. The police made the trip after learning that Mr. Williams had been arrested by Suffolk County police on an unrelated charge last week.

Sherwood Williams, 58, of Mastic, had been arrested outside Sloppy Tuna, a hot spot at South Emerson Avenue in Montauk in August last year, charged with driving a taxi with too many passengers. In October, he pleaded guilty and was fined $250 by then East Hampton Town Justice Catherine A. Cahill. He was given 90 days to pay up. In January, when he still had failed to pay, he was given an extension. On the next due date, March 5, he sent the court an email asking for more time.

“I am a taxi driver without a job right now. P.S. I should be working any day now,” he wrote. Mr. Williams was given until March 24, which again was extended, this time until April 21. A bench warrant was issued for his arrest when neither payment nor Mr. Williams showed up.

In court last Thursday, Justice Steven Tekulsky said he was going to set bail at $150. He then gave Mr. Williams a choice: If he was unable to post bail, he could go to jail for 10 days, with the outstanding fine cancelled. Mr. Williams spoke briefly with his Legal Aid Society attorney. “Bail, or jail?” Justice Tekulsky asked. “Do you wish to be resentenced at this time to 10 days in jail?”

The answer was “yes,” the sentence was pronounced, and Mr. Williams was later taken to jail in Riverside, where he remained as of yesterday. He is unlikely to be released, even after his time served, because of open cases in Suffolk County. The bail required for his release on the Suffolk cases is $1,050.

 

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.