Skip to main content

A Fugitive Sex Offender Is Caught Here

Mon, 05/06/2019 - 15:34

A man who reported a fire at an East Hampton house ended up being taken away in handcuffs on March 8 after police found him evasive in answering questions, according to Detective Sgt. Dan Toia. 

When the East Hampton Fire Department responded to 31 Cosdrew Lane just after 10 a.m. they not only saw an exterior fire, but “could tell something was up,” Detective Toia said. The man initially lied about his name and said he was a handyman working at the house. 

About 45 members, two engines, a tanker, a heavy rescue vehicle, and fire police units went to the scene and extinguished the blaze quickly, according to Chief Gerard Turza Jr. Tom Baker, an East Hampton Town fire marshal, said the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette.

By the time the Fire Department was wrapping up, at about 11 a.m., police had learned the caller’s name was Randy John Washburn and that he was a registered 57-year-old sex offender from Lancaster, S.C.. It was not clear how long Mr. Washburn had been staying at the house, Detective Toia said, and there was an active warrant for his arrest.

When Mr. Washburn learned he was being arrested, he tried to lock himself in a room at the house. Police officers “were able to talk him outside,” Detective Toia said. He was turned over to the Suffolk County fugitive squad for extradition; he was not charged locally. 

On Feb. 8, 2017, Mr. Washburn pleaded guilty to two counts of third-degree sexual exploitation of a minor, a felony, according to the South Carolina Attorney General's office. Robert Kittle, a spokesman for that office, said Mr. Washburn was given a 10-year suspended sentence, upon completion of five years of probation. The Attorney General's office was not aware of Mr. Kittle's fugitive status. 

"We determined he had left a mental health facility last summer and failed to report to us," according to Peter O'Boyle, a spokesman from the South Carolina Probation Department. The Lancaster office issued an absconder warrant at that time.

The sex-offender registry listed him as a tier III sex offender and an “absconder.” 

According to The Herald, a newspaper in South Carolina, the South Carolina attorney general’s and Lancaster County sheriff’s offices had charged him with five counts of child pornography possession on Oct. 3, 2016. 

This article has been updated since it appeared in print on March 21, 2019.

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

Charged in May Burglary at Bostwick’s

A man police allege broke into Bostwick’s Chowder House on Pantigo Road in May was charged with burglary in the third degree early on Friday.

Feb 6, 2026

Eye a Public Safety Center in Montauk

East Hampton Town will acquire a parcel in Montauk’s downtown on which a multi-department public safety center housing the town’s police, Marine Patrol, Code Enforcement, and East Hampton Volunteer Ocean Rescue operations is planned, it was announced this week.

Feb 5, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.