Skip to main content

Middle of the Montauk Road

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 06:26

A New Jersey man was arrested on April 2 on an a charge of drunken driving after East Hampton Town police found him sitting behind the wheel in the middle of a Montauk road.

Francisco Javier Bello-Rosas, a 31-year-old from Passaic, was driving a 2015 Ford east on South Eton Street near South Emerson Avenue at about 4 p.m. when he stopped the car for no apparent reason. An officer in a patrol car noticed the Ford matched the description of a reported erratic driver, so he pulled up behind it. 

The driver appeared intoxicated, police said. He performed poorly on all field sobriety tests and was arrested on the misdemeanor charge at 4:23 p.m. A breath test indicated a blood alcohol level above .18, police said, raising the level of the driving while intoxicated charge to aggravated.

Mr. Bello-Rosas was held overnight for arraignment. East Hampton Town Justice Lisa R. Rana released him on $500 bail. 

Following an accident in East Hampton on Friday night, Pedro O. Quizhpi-Sanchez, 35, was also charged with misdemeanor D.W.I. Police said the East Hampton resident admitted he was driving too fast on Royal Street and lost control of the 2011 Hyundai, which crashed into a tree just south of Thomas Avenue at about 9:20 p.m. 

Neither he nor his 25-year-old passenger, Stalin Andres Merchan-Rea, was hurt. Police said the driver appeared intoxicated and performed poorly on the field tests. Justice Steven Tekulsky released him on his own recognizance after arraignment on Saturday. 

In Springs, at about 9:05 p.m. on April 3, Jorge I. Herrera, 51, of Southampton was charged with misdemeanor D.W.I. as well. He was driving a 2004 Dodge pickup truck south on Springs-Fireplace Road near Gardiner Avenue when police stopped him, saying he had been speeding — 55 miles per hour in a 30-m.p.h. zone, they said. He appeared intoxicated and reportedly failed the road tests. 

Justice Rana released him on his own recognizance the next morning.

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

Charged in May Burglary at Bostwick’s

A man police allege broke into Bostwick’s Chowder House on Pantigo Road in May was charged with burglary in the third degree early on Friday.

Feb 6, 2026

Eye a Public Safety Center in Montauk

East Hampton Town will acquire a parcel in Montauk’s downtown on which a multi-department public safety center housing the town’s police, Marine Patrol, Code Enforcement, and East Hampton Volunteer Ocean Rescue operations is planned, it was announced this week.

Feb 5, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.