Skip to main content

Safe After Near-Drowning

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

A 4-year-old child who nearly drowned in a pool in Springs earlier this month was released from the hospital this week.

East Hampton Town Police Capt. Chris Anderson said Tuesday that the child, Charlotte Sutton-Do of New York City, was found unresponsive though breathing in a pool at 69 Isle of Wight Road on June 12 at about 2:30 p.m. Officers administered oxygen before the arrival of Springs Fire Department emergency medical personnel and the East Hampton Volunteer Ambulance Association.

The child was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital from East Hampton Airport. She remained in the hospital until Monday, when she was discharged.

“This was a good outcome,” Captain Anderson said. The incident was accidental, he said; Charlotte was with her family in the pool at the time.

Family members could not be reached for comment, but Robert Strent, a family friend, said they wanted to convey “heartfelt thanks” to the town police, ambulance volunteers, as well as the doctors, nurses, and staff at Stony Brook, “and all the strangers who they did not get to meet, but who made Charlotte’s recovery possible through their actions, thoughts, and prayers.” Mr. Strent said the family declined to comment further.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates of any age group, and drowning is responsible for more deaths among that age group than any other cause except congenital abnormalities.

The six-bedroom house where the incident occurred is in the Lion Head community, with a pool that has a water view. A summer rental, it is owned by Greenway Coastal Property Development L.L.C.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.