Skip to main content

Sexual Abuse of a Minor

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

A 32-year-old Northwest Woods man was arrested last week on a felony charge of sexually abusing an East Hampton High School student under the age of 17.

Joffre Apolo-Enriquez was said by East Hampton Town police to have groped the girl while she was asleep in her bed on the morning of May 2. The teen’s parents were out of the house at the time.

Mr. Apolo-Enriquez, who was arrested at his home on May 6 shortly after midnight, was additionally charged with endangering the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor. Bail was set at $20,000 later that morning, which was posted. East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky issued the girl a stay-away order of protection against the man.

The teen told police the incident occurred between 10 and 11 in the morning. It was a Saturday. She said she was asleep in her room with the door closed, and was awakened by Mr. Apolo-Enriquez fondling her. She had clothing on at the time, she said. “The only reason that he stopped is because he saw my mom’s car pull into the driveway,” she told police.

She said it was not the first time he had touched her inappropriately. He was constantly texting her, she said, in an attempt to learn when her parents were out of the house. About three months earlier, she told detectives, Mr. Apolo-Enriquez, who knows her parents, was alone with her when he tried to kiss her and pull off her sweatpants. When she rebuffed his efforts, she said, he warned her not to tell anyone what had happened, or they would both be in trouble. “I never told anyone because I was scared,” she said.

That changed after the May 2 incident. “I couldn’t hold it in anymore,” the teen said. She confided in East Hampton High School authorities, who called the police.

Mr. Apolo-Enriquez’s lawyer, Sandra Melendez, declined to comment on the case. “The investigation is in the beginning stages,” she said Tuesday. “It is a very sensitive situation.”

The identity of the teen, who is both a minor and the alleged victim of a sex crime, was not released, in accordance with New York State law.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.