Skip to main content

The Police Were Watching

Thu, 10/08/2020 - 12:09

Driving without the required interlock device, which keeps a car's engine from turning over if it senses alcohol in the driver's system, was the charge on Sept. 27 against a Montauk woman, Jane Hildreth O'Keefe, 55. East Hampton Town police spotted her 2020 black Ford on South Emerson Avenue that morning and took her into custody briefly before giving her a Justice Court appearance ticket. She will answer the misdemeanor charge on Wednesday.

In Sag Harbor last Thursday, village police charged Marco Sichique of East Hampton, 44, with aggravated unlicensed operation after his 2002 Ford pickup collided with a parked 2014 Lexus outside 82 Hampton Street. Dorothy Jordan was in the Lexus. Police did not give further details of the incident, but said a computer check showed that Mr. Sichique's license had been suspended earlier this year for failure to pay child support. He will appear in Sag Harbor Justice Court before Justice Lisa R. Rana on Friday, Oct. 16.

Sag Harbor police also charged three motorists over the weekend with lacking proper registration, all detected by license plate scanner.

Carlos Saquicaray Loja, 40, of East Hampton was pulled over on Jermain Avenue Friday evening, Maria Agudelo, 23, of Hampton Bays was stopped on Main Street late Saturday, and Carlos Mendoz Godoy, 42, of East Hampton was flagged on Bay Street Sunday afternoon. All three will appear before Justice Rana on Friday, Oct. 16.

Back in East Hampton on Sunday afternoon, police charged Nicholas Casino of Ely Brook to Hand's Creek Road, East Hampton, 41, with unlicensed operation following a minor accident at the Montauk Highway-Stephen Hand's Path intersection. Mr. Casino, driving a 2019 Lexus, had been waiting at the stop sign there, with Veronica Guanga of East Hampton, 26, behind him in a 2012 GMC. As he started to move forward, Ms. Guanga told police, she accidentally hit the gas and struck his rear fender, causing minor damage. Police found that Mr. Casino's license had been suspended last year, and he will appear in East Hampton Justice Court on Oct. 21.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.