Skip to main content

Two Charged With Felony D.W.I. on Local Roads

Thu, 02/29/2024 - 11:12

Two men were charged with felony drunken driving over the last two weeks, one in Amagansett and the other in Sag Harbor.

On Saturday at about 11 p.m., on Town Lane, Amagansett, East Hampton Town police stopped a white 2006 Ford driven by Oscar O. Jacintomateo of Riverhead, 22, after he nearly caused a collision with their police car. Mr. Jacintomateo was then seen, the officers reported, swerving across the double yellow lines as he continued driving west. Police said they detected signs of drunkenness before initiating roadside sobriety tests, which the driver allegedly failed. He did agree to a breath test, which, they said, produced a reading over the legal blood-alcohol limit of .08 of 1 percent, leading to a total of two felony D.W.I. charges.

On Sunday morning, Justice Steven Tekulsky released the defendant, who had been convicted of drunken driving in Town Justice Court on Feb. 22, 2023, on his own recognizance. He is scheduled to be back in court on March 28.

In Sag Harbor on Feb. 14, Jose Guzman-Hurtado, 27, driving a gray 2010 Honda, was pulled over on Jermain Avenue just after 11 p.m. Sag Village police said he had been speeding, failing to stay in his lane, and narrowly missing a crash with another car. Mr. Guzman-Hurtado, who had a prior D.W.I. conviction, reportedly failed the field sobriety tests and a breath screening. He was read his rights in Spanish, and wrote that he accepted the charges: Two counts of D.W.I., one a felony and the other a misdemeanor; failure to install a court-mandated interlock device, a misdemeanor; second-degree aggravated unlicensed driving, a misdemeanor; and two traffic violations. His car was impounded.

The driver was held overnight for a morning arraignment in Sag Harbor Village Court, where Justice Carl Irace released him on his own recognizance to await a future court date.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.