Skip to main content

D.W.I. Charge Dismissed in August Accident

Fri, 05/23/2014 - 07:22

 

A judge has dismissed a drunken-driving charge against Mosel Katzter, whose vehicle was involved in a roll-over accident on Aug. 4 that sent him and three passengers to the hospital.

“I was not intoxicated the night of the car accident,” Mr. Katzter said in an email to The Star. He blamed the accident on faulty brakes. “Too late for me, I found out the hard way that my car model was recalled twice in the last five years for braking problems.” 

Southampton Town police had brought the charge against Mr. Katzter, a real estate agent who was represented in court by Edward Burke Jr. He had pleaded guilty to imprudent speed in Southampton Town Justice Court on Sept. 17.

The accident occurred a little before 3 a.m. at the intersection of Halsey and Paul’s Lanes in Bridgehampton. Police said Mr. Katzter lost control of the car, which rolled over and ended up in nearby woods. The Bridgehampton Fire Department’s heavy rescue squad was brought in to help remove the occupants from the vehicle and they were taken to Southampton Hospital by ambulances from Southampton Town and Village and Sag Harbor.

Brian C. Doyle, an attorney for Mr. Katzter, said last week that he had blood drawn at the hospital after the crash. When tested, Mr. Katzter’s blood alcohol level was recorded at .04 of 1 percent, far below the .08 reading that would trigger a driving while intoxicated charge, Mr. Doyle said.

Previous coverage
 

 

Accident by the Train Station

A head-on collision on Montauk Highway near the Amagansett railroad crossing last week left four people injured.

May 14, 2026

An ‘In-Depth Look’ at Crime Here in 2025

Arrests across East Hampton Town were down last year, as were overall calls to town police, according to the department’s year-end report. Motor vehicle accidents are also trending down.

May 7, 2026

EpiPens Now in Town Police Cars

The East Hampton Healthcare Foundation has donated 26 two-packs of EpiPens, pre-loaded syringes that defend against the allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, to East Hampton Town.

May 7, 2026

On the Police Logs 05.07.26

Kids were reported to be running amok at BonBon, a candy shop in Sag Harbor, last week. An employee told police that “very young kids” took too many candy samples and other items.

May 7, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.