Skip to main content

Eyeing 2024 for Return of Battery Facility

Thu, 11/09/2023 - 10:28

The 5-megawatt lithium-ion battery energy storage system, or BESS, that caught fire at a Cove Hollow Road, East Hampton, substation on May 31 is expected to be out of commission until the middle of 2024, a spokesman for NextEra Energy Resources said last week.

The fire at the facility, a partnership between NextEra and National Grid, was one of three at battery energy storage facilities in New York State this year.

Bill Orlove, a NextEra spokesman, told The Star in a Nov. 1 email that since the fire in East Hampton “we have been safely and diligently working toward substantially rebuilding the facility, which included a comprehensive assessment of the site. By the end of the year, the damaged equipment will be removed. We plan to have the facility back online by mid-2024. We are following all local and state regulations and our contract with the Long Island Power Authority as we remove the damaged equipment and rebuild the facility. There are no safety or power concerns for local residents and businesses as a result of the facility being out of service.”

The May 31 fire, and other BESS fires in June and July in Warwick and Chaumont, N.Y., respectively, contributed to Southampton Town’s August enactment of a six-month moratorium on BESS applications. An application for a facility on North Road in Hampton Bays, close to Montauk Highway, the Long Island Rail Road track, and the Shinnecock Canal, was before the town’s planning board at the time.

NextEra “plans to apply lessons learned from this situation to mitigate future incidents,” Mr. Orlove said. “It’s important to note that the water-based fire suppression systems operated as designed and quickly contained the May 31 fire to the site. No further emergency response was required. All our energy storage facilities are managed, monitored, and cooled in a controlled manner to keep the equipment functioning safely.”

Villages

Storm Leaves Pantigo Mill One Arm Short

One of the four windmill arms at the historic Pantigo Mill, behind the Home, Sweet Home Museum, fell off in Thursday's storm. It will be repaired, but it may take a while before a contractor with the specialized knowledge for a project like that can get to it.

Apr 4, 2025

Montauk Playhouse Work Will Be Done by June

Construction of the new aquatic and cultural spaces at the Montauk Playhouse Community Center is slated to be done by the end of June, according to Sarah Iudicone, president of the Montauk Playhouse Community Center Foundation. The date for the public opening, however, is still up in the air.

Apr 3, 2025

Days of Crime and Mystery

Hamptons Whodunit, a mystery and true-crime festival now in its third year in East Hampton Village, kicks off with a cocktail party at the Maidstone Club next Thursday evening and continues with three days of discussions, tours, book signings, and interactive events.

Apr 3, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.