Skip to main content

Amagansett Dedicates New State-of-the-Art Ambulance

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 06:33
The Amagansett Fire District received a $250,000 state grant that it used to purchase its new ambulance.

The Amagansett Fire Department dedicated its new state-of-the-art ambulance, which was purchased with a $250,000 state grant, at a ceremony at the firehouse on Sept. 12.

The grant came about thanks to cooperation between State Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele Jr., the Amagansett Fire District manager, Jessica Cantwell, Amagansett’s fire commissioners, and the district’s special counsel, Steven Weitz, all of whom attended the dedication ceremony along with department chiefs and volunteers. 

The new 2017 E-450 Medallion ambulance is now in service and had already run 52 calls as of last week. The ambulance replaced one that was 18 years old and had reached the end of its useful life, Ms. Cantwell said. 

The Amagansett Fire Department, which was founded 104 years ago, has 59 active firefighters, 11 members of the fire police, 25 members of the ambulance squad, and 15 junior firefighters. The volume of calls quadruples from Memorial Day through Labor Day, with the majority being ambulance related, the district said in a press release. 

Because a ride to the hospital often can take more than three hours and because of heavy demand for emergency medical services, the district established a paid paramedic program in 2014 and now employs 14 advanced life support providers, with one on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

“We are working on several large projects including a town-wide mandatory radio system, a fascia [truck] replacement project, replacement of an ambulance, and an aging roof that will need to be replaced,” Ms. Cantwell said, adding that she had asked Mr. Weitz to assist in making applications for additional grants. “Grant funding allows us to apply for funding opportunities to purchase the vehicles and equipment that we need without further burdening our resident taxpayers,” she said.

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.