Skip to main content

Fort Pond Duck Hunters Are Charged

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

East Hampton Town police last week charged two men and a Montauk teenager who were duck hunting from a blind on Fort Pond with trespassing, saying they had used a house on the pond, at 82 South Elroy Street, without permission. The men, Matthew Cuomo of Springs, 25, and James F. DePasquale, 24, of Montauk, were additionally charged with drawing electricity from the house. All the charges are misdemeanors.

The trio cooperated fully with the police, turning themselves in after they were notified that a complaint had been made. East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky freed them without bail, but with a spot on his criminal calendar.

Mr. Cuomo told police that they had written permission from a former owner of the house, Linton H. Baldwin, a writer who died in 2012, to use the house to keep warm and drink coffee while watching their blind in wintertime. The blind is just north of the house. He said they were unaware that the property had been sold last year.

The new owner requested and received an order of protection against all three.

Mr. Cuomo, who apologized in his statement, as did Mr. DePasquale, said they had drawn electricity from the back porch “for the ice eater.”

Both he and Mr. DePasquale were also questioned about an incident that occurred during the 2013-14 hunting season. In their statements, they admitted to capturing two injured birds, a drake mallard and a goose, from the pond and using the mallard, which had a damaged wing, to draw more waterfowl to their blind. Mr. DePasquale told police he had tethered the wounded bird to a weight and left it by the blind. A State Department of Environmental Conservation officer later contacted him about the incident, he said, though apparently no charges were brought.

Both men told police they had never shot over the wounded duck, which disappeared two days later. Mr. Cuomo said he had killed the injured goose.

Duck hunting on Fort Pond has been a divisive issue for the pond’s neighbors, with some supporting it and others strongly opposed. About 120 signatures were collected in 2012 asking the East Hampton Town Board to ban the practice, which according to the D.E.C. is legal as long as the shots are fired away from land.

Liza Bobseine, a state conservation officer familiar with the Fort Pond blind issue, spoke to The Star in 2012. “They have to shoot in a safe direction, no matter how near or far they are,” she said. “They can be literally 10 feet from a house, and it’s still legal.”

State Bans Smart Glasses in Courtrooms

With “smart glasses” — which look like normal eyeglasses but have built-in computer technology — making their way into courtrooms, New York, fearing surreptitious recording, has taken the unprecedented step of banning them.

Aug 13, 2026

On the Police Logs 08.13.26

Two Georgica Beach beachgoers had an altercation on Aug. 5 after one accused the other of taking pictures of girls on the beach. Police said the man was taking pictures, but not of girls.

Aug 13, 2026

Jets Collide at the Airport

Two jet aircraft collided on the ground at East Hampton Town Airport on Aug. 5, causing minor damage to both planes but no injuries.

Aug 13, 2026

A Collision at East Hampton Train Crossing

A westbound Long Island Rail Road train approaching the station in East Hampton Village struck a car attempting to cross the tracks at around 7:20 Friday morning at the Newtown Lane and Railroad Avenue crossing.

Aug 7, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.