Skip to main content

Unlicensed Driver Is Charged Again

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:22

A Montauk man was charged with driving while intoxicated Saturday night after he allegedly collided with two cars on Amagansett Main Street and then drove off. It was the second such charge in the past five months for Jaime Javier Guaman-Marca, 30.

Mr. Guaman-Marca told the East Hampton Town police officers who caught up with his badly damaged vehicle soon after on Route 27 that he was headed east near Indian Wells Highway when another vehicle pulled out in front of his 2002 Nissan van. Trying to avoid a collision, he said, he swerved and lost control, crossed the road, and struck a 2004 Ford pickup truck parked on the westbound side. The van then spun around and hit another parked car, a 2011 Land Rover.

Police said the man failed roadside sobriety tests. He was transported to headquarters in Wainscott, where a breath test reportedly recorded his blood-alcohol level as .19 of 1 percent, high enough to trigger an elevated charge of aggravated D.W.I. The van was impounded.

In November, police said, they found Mr. Guaman-Marca asleep behind the wheel of a 2000 Mercury with its engine running, on the shoulder of Montauk Highway on Napeague near Old Montauk Highway. After that arrest, his breath test reportedly produced a .16 reading.

Mr. Guaman-Marca’s license had been suspended three times before then, police said. During his arraignment in November, Justice Steven Tekulsky set bail at $300, sternly warning the defendant that because of the D.W.I. charge his license was being suspended for the fourth time over. “You cannot drive,” Justice Tekulsky told him.

Justice Lisa R. Rana presided over Mr. Guaman-Marca’s Sunday arraignment. Coincidentally, the officer guarding him that day was the same one who made the November arrest.

In addition to the misdemeanor drunken-driving charges and a charge of leaving the scene of an accident, Justice Rana told the man, through a court translator, that he now faced a felony charge of unlicensed driving. She again suspended his driving privileges, telling Mr. Guaman-Marca that he was “very lucky” to be unhurt after his accident. “You have two D.W.I.s, both with high readings,” she said.

She set bail at $2,500, which was posted by a friend of the defendant at police headquarters. The current charges will be put on the court’s criminal calendar together with those from his previous arrest. Mr. Guaman-Marca will return to court on May 7.

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

Charged in May Burglary at Bostwick’s

A man police allege broke into Bostwick’s Chowder House on Pantigo Road in May was charged with burglary in the third degree early on Friday.

Feb 6, 2026

Eye a Public Safety Center in Montauk

East Hampton Town will acquire a parcel in Montauk’s downtown on which a multi-department public safety center housing the town’s police, Marine Patrol, Code Enforcement, and East Hampton Volunteer Ocean Rescue operations is planned, it was announced this week.

Feb 5, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.