Skip to main content

Grippo Murder Case Progresses

Thu, 02/27/2020 - 08:28
Dan Russo, Joseph Grippo's attorney, said he is anticipating a trial will begin by the fall.
Doug Kuntz

The case against Joseph A. Grippo, accused of stabbing and beating Robert Casado with a pickax in Montauk’s Kirk Park last June, is likely headed for trial.     

His attorney, Dan Russo, who appeared yesterday with him in Suffolk County Criminal Court in Riverhead, told Judge Stephen L. Braslow that he was working with the County District Attorney’s office to get Mr. Grippo the evidence to which he believes he is entitled.     

While the D.A.’s office certified that all evidence had been turned over to the defense two weeks ago, as required under the state’s new discovery laws, Mr. Russo said he was unable to open a disc containing recordings of certain phone calls, and that he is looking for more scientific documentation. He hired a lab scientist, the lawyer told the court, who went through the paperwork and said that more analysis of the crime scene, and more lab reports, should be available.     

“As it stands right now, there is no scientific evidence to support the prosecution’s case — none,” Mr. Russo said yesterday. According to Mr. Russo, the prosecution contends that Mr. Grippo was seen “covered in blood,” getting into a car that had no scientific evidence of blood when searched. The lawyer said there was “nothing that connects my client to this case.”     

After conferring with the judge and the homicide bureau’s assistant D.A. handling the case, Frank Schroeder, Mr. Russo was given a new disc, and said in court that the two sides would work to resolve the other matters.     

The case was put over, at his request, until March 25. At that time, he believes they will be ready to set a date for a pre-trial hearing, perhaps in April or May, where he will challenge the admissibility of statements reportedly made by Mr. Grippo, who has been held without bail since his June 20 arrest on a second-degree murder charge. 

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

Charged in May Burglary at Bostwick’s

A man police allege broke into Bostwick’s Chowder House on Pantigo Road in May was charged with burglary in the third degree early on Friday.

Feb 6, 2026

Eye a Public Safety Center in Montauk

East Hampton Town will acquire a parcel in Montauk’s downtown on which a multi-department public safety center housing the town’s police, Marine Patrol, Code Enforcement, and East Hampton Volunteer Ocean Rescue operations is planned, it was announced this week.

Feb 5, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.