Skip to main content

Collision on Napeague Stretch

Thu, 08/11/2022 - 09:08

Half a dozen drunken-driving charges were lodged this week, including for two incidents that happened on Napeague.

Daniel Lewis of Sagaponack, 47, was westbound near Devon Road there last Thursday night when an oncoming 2012 Jeep, driven by Lucas Nordlinger of Montauk, crossed the double-yellow lines and collided with Mr. Lewis’s 2020 Land Rover. Mr. Nordlinger, 19, told East Hampton Town police he could not remember what had happened.

Mr. Lewis, 47, was actually the one charged; police said he exhibited standard signs of intoxication. He faces a count of driving while intoxicated, a first-offense misdemeanor. Both drivers were taken in separate ambulances to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital; both vehicles were towed. Route 27 was shut down in both directions for a time following the accident.

A New York City man, James Wiederhold, 37, was similarly charged after being stopped near Napeague Harbor Road just after midnight on Friday. Police said Mr. Wiederhold’s white 2021 Kia had swerved across the lines in a no-passing zone, and that he failed the roadside sobriety tests.

John Morocho, 33, of East Hampton, was also charged with first-offense D.W.I. Police said they found Mr. Morocho passed out in the driver’s seat of a white 2017 Ford, engine running, at around 3 a.m. Saturday on Bluff Road near Sandpiper Lane in Amagansett. The driver’s-side door was ajar, the officer said.

Ekaterina Wainright, 33, was pulled over at about 1:10 a.m. on Aug. 3, on South Euclid Avenue in Montauk. Police reported seeing her gray 2019 Nissan heading east in the westbound lane of the avenue. She failed several road tests, they said, before consenting to an on-site breathalyzer test, which reportedly produced a reading of more than twice as high as is legal. She is charged with aggravated D.W.I.

Jenine De Kock, 30, a South African national who gave police a Montauk address, was southbound on Garden Street in Sag Harbor late on Aug. 2 when she allegedly ran a stop sign; police also noted that her 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a broken brake light. Her breath smelled strongly of “an intoxicating beverage,” they said, and she performed poorly on the field tests. She was taken to Sag Village police headquarters, where she refused three times to submit to a chemical test. Ms. De Kock was eventually transferred to East Hampton Town police headquarters in Wainscott, and held there for a morning arraignment in Town Justice Court.

Richard Hodos of East Hampton, 61, was westbound in East Hampton Village on Further Lane near Windmill Lane at around 2 a.m. on Aug. 1 when he was pulled over; village police said he had been speeding. Mr. Hodos subsequently told officers he had been “drinking rosé all night” before being charged with misdemeanor drunken driving.

Rape in Mail Van Alleged

A postal worker from Moriches who allegedly raped a 15-year-old in his mail van was arrested by East Hampton Town police on May 14.

May 21, 2026

Two Face Elevated D.W.I. Charges

After spotting a car driving up Oakview Highway with no lights on in complete darkness, town police charged a Springs man with felony-level driving while intoxicated.

May 21, 2026

Police: She Could Not Stop

A two-car accident on Route 114 left two people injured last week.

May 21, 2026

On the Police Logs 05.14.26

After reading of bullying at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in last week’s issue, another man came forward to tell police that he has been harassed during the group’s meeting at the Old Whalers Church in Sag Harbor.

May 14, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.