Skip to main content

Montauk Emergency Ended Peacefully

Fri, 08/23/2024 - 14:41
Police vehicles on Edgemere Road in Montauk, near the intersection of Flamingo Avenue.
Jack Motz

East Hampton Town police blocked off roads in Montauk and had the Long Island Rail Road halt Montauk-bound trains on Friday afternoon as they responded to a possible “psychiatric emergency” at a house on Edgemere Street, not far from the train station.

The initial call came in at 11:43 a.m. from Suffolk County’s Diagnostic, Assessment, and Stabilization Hub, or DASH, which responds to mental health emergencies. Police, DASH, and family members had been unable to make contact with the man in the house for several hours, and police learned that there were “numerous weapons in the house,” according to a press release issued by town police late Friday afternoon.

East Hampton detectives and emergency service units from East Hampton and Southampton Towns were joined by New York State police investigators in attempting over several hours to reach the man “and ascertain his well-being and location in the residence,” according to the release.

Town police “established a wide perimeter” around the house and cleared nearby residences. The L.I.R.R. announced on the social media platform X that it was holding one eastbound train in Amagansett, one in Southampton, and another in Jamaica, Queens.

“Eventually, the subject made contact with family members, and responded to police commands,” police said. “The situation ended peacefully, with no injuries to any involved.” The man was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for evaluation.

The scene was clear and roads were open by 3:55 p.m. At 4:06 p.m., the L.I.R.R. announced that it had restored full service to the Montauk branch.
 

With Reporting by Carissa Katz, Jack Motz, and Christine Sampson

Who Was the Actual Driver?

A 14-year-old driving on Hand’s Creek Road on Jan. 19 was involved in an accident that eventually led to the arrest of his father on Feb. 3.

Feb 19, 2026

D.A. Refuses Plea Deal in Montauk Art Show Case

“One year of supervision is not sufficient for what she allegedly did,” Justice Steven Tekulsky said during a conference last Thursday with the attorney for Nicoly Ribeiro De Souza, who police said drove through an art show on the Montauk green in June, causing over $100,000 in damages.

Feb 12, 2026

Bostwick’s Burglar Charged and Sentenced

An East Quogue man police say broke into Bostwick’s on Pantigo Road last May was charged with third-degree burglary early Friday morning, and sentenced later that day to four years’ probation for a string of other burglaries from Southampton to East Hampton.

Feb 12, 2026

On the Logs 02.12.26

An appliance repair man from Mastic Beach told police on Feb. 3 that he’d been harassed over the phone by a Montauk homeowner’s son after he ran late to repair a washing machine.

Feb 12, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.