Skip to main content

Not Guilty Plea Entered in Felony Firearms Case

Thu, 09/12/2024 - 14:05

The Bridgehampton man charged with illegally carrying a loaded Glock and two high-capacity magazines on Main Street in East Hampton Village pleaded not guilty before Suffolk County Justice Richard Ambro on Thursday.

 Alexis Ramirez-Reyes, 19, appeared with his attorney, Jeremy Mis of Legal Aid, for his arraignment on three felony firearms charges and two misdemeanor charges related to resisting arrest during the Sept. 5 incident.

 The highest-level charge — second-degree criminal possession of a weapon — is a class-C felony which stems from Mr. Ramirez-Reyes reaching for a firearm while officers were placing him under arrest, police allege.

 When Mr. Ramirez-Reyes was pulled over for "inadequate tail lamps" and having an "obstructed view," police officers reportedly noticed an "AR-15 style rifle" on the floor behind the passenger seat, which was later determined to be an Airsoft gun.

 After ordering Mr. Ramirez-Reyes to leave the vehicle, an officer stated, he tensed up and held the steering wheel. A police sergeant reportedly arrived on scene, and when Mr. Ramirez-Reyes "refused" to exit the vehicle again, the officers "grabbed" his hands and "pulled him" onto the ground.

 When officers attempted to handcuff Mr. Ramirez-Reyes, he reached for a Glock 19 in his waistband, which had a live 9-millimeter round loaded, police allege.

 In court Thursday, Assistant District Attorney Maria Troulakis argued that bail for Mr. Ramirez-Reyes should be set at $50,000 cash or $100,000 insurance bond due to the nature of the charge, despite acknowledging that Mr. Ramirez-Reyes does not have any previous criminal convictions.

 Mr. Ramirez-Reyes is a lifelong Suffolk County resident with no prior criminal history or failures to appear in court, Mr. Mis argued. If released, he continued, Mr. Ramirez-Reyes could return to his home in Bridgehampton.

 "We would consent to Mr. Ramirez being placed on G.P.S. [monitoring]," Mr. Mis argued before Justice Ambro.

 The judge then asked Mr. Mis about a bail amount that Mr. Ramirez-Reyes could potentially meet to secure his release. His client would have difficulty making any number, Mr. Mis said, and his family was unable to be reached on the topic.

 Eventually Justice Ambro set bail at $5,000 cash, $10,000 insurance bond, or $20,000 partially secured bond.

 Justice Ambro ordered Mr. Ramirez-Reyes, who is currently being held at the county jail in Yaphank, to return on Sept. 30.

On the Police Logs 08.20.26

No crime was committed on Aug. 12 on Front Street in Springs, where police responded to a report that a man was holding a shotgun. Police said it was in fact a BB gun, which the man told them he uses to scare off squirrels and other small animals.

Aug 20, 2026

Montauk Art Show Targeted by Thieves

Just weeks after the sentencing of the woman who drunkenly drove through the Montauk Art Show last year, destroying many paintings, photographs, and handmade crafts, the event was targeted again, this time falling victim to thieves and vandals.

Aug 20, 2026

July Train Robber Brandished a Knife

Metropolitan Transportation Authority detectives have charged a Bronx man with robbery, saying that in East Hampton last month, he stole money from another train rider and then brandished a knife in his face.

Aug 20, 2026

Multiple Pileups as Labor Day Draws Near

East Hampton Town police reported multiple accidents last week as local roads fill up for the final weeks of summer.

Aug 20, 2026

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.